Ergonomics is an applied science. Its general purpose is to adapt people’s activities, equipment and environments to fit their needs and capacities. By doing this, ergonomists and ‘human factors’ experts aim to optimise the efficiency and safety of people’s interactions with their activities and related environments.
Ergonomics knowledge is applied in many different areas, such as:
- transportation, aerospace and military systems
- occupational health, safety and rehabilitation
- consumer product design, and
- manufacturing systems.
Depending on the particular area and the circumstances, ergonomists might be aiming to enhance:
- overall system performance efficiency and productivity
- product or system usability
- system safety
- individual health and well being.