So it’s been 6 months since your last rental inspection and you and your share house buddies had promised yourselves it would be different this time. But alas, like last time and the time before that, inspection day is tomorrow and it’s going to take an all nighter to clean up the joint!
The question isn’t what cleans environmentally friendly, but what cleans quickly and effectively. So you turn to the old faithful ‘Domestos’. What you know from your experience using Domestos is that the kitchen and shower areas that have a tinge of yellow and orange and an indescribable film will be shiny in no time and the tick of approval from the landlord means another 6 months without hassle.
What you may not know are risks associated with exposure to the bleach chemicals that make up this product.
Domestos is a readily available household cleaning product, that contains the chemicals sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide, that may be harmful if it comes into contact with your skin or eyes or if you ingest or inhale it.
But your question is how do I still pass this inspection?
Well, the answer is simple, follow these few steps and not only will your house sparkle, the landlord will be fooled to thinking this was normal!
- Ensure that you wear protection on your hands and other areas of skin that may be at risk of contact whilst you are cleaning. This reduces the risk of skin irritation.
- Ensure the areas that you are working in are well ventilated, open windows or switch on fans to reduce risk of inhalation
- Consider the use of eye protection to reduce the risk of the product having contact with you eyes, which can lead to redness or irritation.
- Dilute the cleaning product as per the guidelines, this assists to reduce the risk if exposed
- If skin/eye contact, ingestion or inhalation occur and you have concerns contact the Poisons Information Centre 131 126.
So the cleanings done, you have earned your share of the Uber eats – but please make sure you wash your hands with soap and running water to ensure you are not at risk of ingestion!
Better still, get that cleaning roster on the fridge and grab a collection of alternate products to eliminate the risk completely!
Written by Rachel Treeby