Is There A Silent Killer In Your Home? – The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

As winter approaches, you might go out and buy a new coat, stock up on blankets, get your hot water bottle ready and look forward to sipping hot chocolates as you prepare for the cold months.

But do you check that your gas heating system is working correctly?

Commonly a faulty gas heating system is to blame for leaking carbon monoxide in the home with detrimental consequences. Carbon monoxide fumes may go completely undetected due to the gas being odourless, tasteless and colourless; so, when you crank up the heating on those cold nights, silent leaking fumes may cause you to lose consciousness and it’s too late.

It is likely that carbon monoxide already exists in your home in harmless small amounts occurring from the use of a stove top, barbeque, fireplace and even the family car. However, it is when a build-up of carbon monoxide occurs that the high concentration of toxic gas in an enclosed space can be fatal. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to long term health complications with organ failure, brain damage or accidental death. Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include vomiting, poor concentration, dizziness and nausea.

Carbon monoxide poisoning within the home can be avoided by completing some simple steps:

  • Installation of carbon monoxide detectors will help to detect the fumes that you can’t otherwise see or smell. An alarm will sound when carbon monoxide is detected at high levels and it is important to evacuate everyone from the home immediately.
  • Have your gas heating system checked by a licenced gas fitter or plumber every two years to inspect and service the system.
  • Clean and unblock the flu or chimney of your fireplace every year.
  • Check all other potential sources of carbon monoxide in your home and ensure they are all working correctly

A gas heating system can be replaced, but your family can’t be. Act now before it’s too late.