Are you making it easy for your child to be poisoned?

Haz Subs Pic

Across Australia each week, around 40 children are admitted to hospital for poisoning. If you have a young child in your home, are you unknowingly allowing them easy access to poisons in your home? Your cleaners, medicines, disinfectants and sprays etc. can all be harmful in the hands of your little one.

As your child grows, so does their curiosity. This leads to their little hands getting into everything and everywhere. If your child gets their hands on a product they can become sick, in some cases dangerously so. To help prevent your child becoming a statistic, it is important to take a few steps to help make your house safer.

  • Ask yourself, when was the last time you used the product, have you ever used it? If the answer is never or years ago, GET RID OF IT.
  • Next time you go shopping, try to find a less harmful product to do the job you want.
  • Do not put chemicals under the sink! Put them up high (above 1.5m), or if they must go in a low cabinet, lock it using a child safety device.
  • Taking the products outside to the shed can help, but you will need to ensure it is locked.
  • Put your medicines away! Medicines account for 70% of all poisoning cases, including your cold and flu medicines and pain killers. And if it’s out of date, throw it away.

It is important to remember if your child is staying at someone else’s house to ask the adult in charge to move their products to a suitable safe place. If they do not have a child living or staying there regularly, it may not be safe for your child to be there unattended.

If the worst does happen and you need help contact 000 or the Poisons Information Line on 131 126   7 days a week 24/7.

Further reading

Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited. (2006-2015). Preventing Poisoning. Retrieved from http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/preventing_poisoning.html

One comment

Comments are closed.